The early history of Faith Temple of Sulphur, Louisiana, dates back to 1922 when Rev. J. S. Frederick and Victor Hebert began a work which would come to be known as the first Pentecostal church to be settled in the Sulphur area. They were both newly filled with the baptism of the Holy Ghost and were early pioneers of the Pentecostal movement in this area. Prior to 1922, cottage meetings were held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Vic Hebert as early as 1919. They had previously received the Holy Ghost at a tent revival in Port Arthur, Texas. The Hebert's had friends in attendance at their meetings who also received the Holy Ghost, such as Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph (Lezida) Saunier, Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Boutte, Mr. and Mrs. DeBarge, Mr. Caesar Hebert, Mrs. Odile Hebert, and Mr. and Mrs. J.S. (Edell) Frederick. The meetings were moved to Bayou D'Inde in a one room vacant house (owned by Mr. Mike Leyton) by the Hamburg's place. When the meetings came to this area, Mrs. Lydia Johnson Vincent said she had been praying for seven years for the Lord to send someone to her area to preach. She had previously had a personal experience with the Lord. At these meetings in Bayou D'Inde, other believers added to the new work where Mr. and Mrs. John P. (Irene) Areno, Mr. and Mrs. Henry (Pauline) Hafer, Mr. and Mrs. Joe (Tini) LeDoux, Mr. and Mrs. H.N. Broussard, Mrs. Virgie Montgomery, and Mr. and Mrs. Amady Hebert. Reverend Frederick became pastor of this group of believers and they built a church in Sulphur off Burton Street going towards the old Sulphur mines. Later, the little church was torn down and another church was build in the 300 block of N. Huntington Street.
On March 18, 1929, the church was officially chartered as the Pentecostal Assembly of Sulphur, Louisiana, with Rev. J.S. Frederick, Victor Hebert, Henry Hafer, John P. Areno, and Amady Hebert serving as the first Board of Trustees. The church was later moved about three blocks to the location on Irwin Street. Even though the building was small, as many as 400 were reported to be in attendance at the church in the 1940's. During this time, the Pentecostal movement really took root and other churches were established in the area, many of them as an outgrowth of this original church. They include: The Little Country Church in Hollywood, The Gospel Lighthouse (now Lighthouse Tabernacle), The First Pentecostal Church of Sulphur, and the United Pentecostal Church. Also, the Assemblies of God churches in Sulphur had their start with this original church.
Rev. Frederick was pastor of the church from its beginnings until 1948, when Rev. C.C. Williams assumed the pastorate. He was to remain in that position until 1962. Under the dynamic leadership of Rev. Williams, the church was drawn into the "Latter Rain" movement of the early 1950's and in 1951, the church withdrew from the United Pentecostal organization and became a non-denominational full-gospel church. The "Latter Rain" movement was a tremendous revival time and outpouring of the Holy Spirit in which people from all denominations were worshiping together and experiencing a "coming together" as one in the Lord. The church name was officially changed to Faith Temple of Sulphur, Louisiana. During this time a second building of brick was constructed on the corner of Lincoln and Irwin Streets to house the sanctuary and Sunday School classrooms with the original building being used for a fellowship hall and parsonage.
Rev. J.W. Byrd became pastor in 1962 and was followed by a succession of interim and short-term pastors. While Rev. Sidney Fontenot was pastor, the congregation began experiencing a need for larger facilities. Attempts were made to purchase property adjacent to the old church location but they were unsuccessful and the board began to look elsewhere.
In August 1978, Rev. Larry LaFleur began his service at Faith Temple. A decision to move the church location was made by the congregation and 4.2 acres were purchased at 1200 Patton Street in 1980. Plans for the new facility were drawn up under building committees consisting of Marvin Robinson, Steve Aguillard, Darrell Istre, Roger Cox, John Stokes, Ken Morris, and Rev. LaFleur. Actual construction of the new facilities was directed by Clyde Irby as contractor and Ellis Beckenstein as President of the Board of Trustees, along with other board members - Al Spence, Al Sharp, Willis Firestone, Jesse Motes, Chuck White, Ray Lyles, and Janice Areno. Services were held in the fellowship hall beginning April 17, 1983, and the first service in the new sanctuary was held October 9, 1983. Formal dedication services were held December 11, 1983.
On November 16, 2016, Rev. Christopher L. Guidroz was elected pastor of Faith Temple. It is with great anticipation that the church looks forward to feeling God's presence and great revival spirit as they approach 100 years of worshiping together and reaching the Sulphur community.